Position Rank: Contractually Limited Appointment
Discipline/Field: Organic Chemistry
Home Faculty: Science
Home Department/Area/Division: Chemistry
Position Start Date: July 1, 2023
Position End Date: June 30, 2026
Sessional Assistant Professor, Organic Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, York University
The Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science at York University invites applications for a teaching-stream three-year Contractually Limited Appointment (CLA) in Organic Chemistry at the rank of Sessional Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream to commence July 1, 2023.
The Department of Chemistry is a tight-knit community with over 20 research-stream faculty members and approximately 85 graduate students and postdoctoral researchers. Six additional full-time faculty members in the teaching stream provide a state-of-the-art learning environment for our undergraduate student population currently comprising around 470 Chemistry and 230 Biochemistry majors and thousands of students from other programs each year. For more information about the Department of Chemistry, please visit: https://www.yorku.ca/science/chemistry/ .
• Degree: PhD in Chemistry (with specialization in organic chemistry) by the appointment start date.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach and enhance undergraduate organic chemistry courses in the Department of Chemistry throughout the calendar year, particularly at the second-year level. Responsibilities may also include coordinating multi-section courses, involvement in electronic course management and the teaching of upper-level undergraduate courses according to their expertise.
As such, the successful candidate will:
• demonstrate excellence or clear potential for excellence in teaching university-level courses in organic chemistry with large enrollment;
• present a record of teaching innovation including, for example, experience with technology-enhanced learning, laboratory development or diverse delivery formats (e.g., in-person, online, blended, flipped);
• possess excellent interpersonal skills that foster a collaborative approach in team teaching.
• Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• All York University positions are subject to budgetary approval.
• All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous peoples in Canada will be given priority.
• York University has a policy on Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities and is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact Prof. Jennifer van Wijngaarden, Chair of the Search Committee at email@example.com.
• York University is an Affirmative Action (AA) employer and strongly values diversity, including gender and sexual diversity, within its community. The AA Program, which applies to women, members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and those who self-identify as 2SLGBTQ+, can be found at http://acadjobs.info.yorku.ca/ or by calling the AA line at 416-736-5713. Applicants wishing to self-identify as part of York University’s Affirmative Action program can do so by downloading, completing and submitting this voluntary self-identification form/.
• Due date for completed applications: November 12, 2022.
• Required components: 1) cover letter outlining professional experience relevant to the position; 2) current CV; 3) teaching dossier that supports excellence and innovation in undergraduate teaching (e.g., course outlines, teaching strategies, teaching reviews, and other selected course materials). The teaching dossier should include a 1-2 page teaching statement that addresses, among other things, the candidate’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusivity. The dossier may also contain workshop and professional development programs attended or led, conference papers, and/or publications relating to pedagogy. Please provide context and reasons for what is included in the teaching dossier and how it supports the teaching of organic chemistry; 4) letters from three referees who can speak to the candidate’s qualifications and experience in relation to the position.
• Candidates must also download, complete, and submit a Work Status Declaration form. This is a mandatory form, and no application will be considered without it.
• Submit materials through: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/22959
• York is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
• York is located in Toronto, Canada’s largest city and one of the world’s most diverse. In 2022, Forbes named Toronto one of the Ten Best Cities to Live. York is accessible from downtown Toronto by subway.
Posting End Date: November 12, 2022